Cayce-West Columbia Branch hosted their second annual Community Health Fair on October 10. This year the fair was combined with a Community Baby Shower for new and expectant parents. Health screenings and information were provided by the Lion’s Club, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Palmetto Chiropractic Center, NAMI, Cooperative Ministry, and Family Connection of S.C. The baby shower, coordinated by Youth Services Librarian Kirsten Barber, included a bilingual Lapsit Storytime with the help of Ivette Villarreal, presentations by PASOs about breastfeeding, and information from the Columbia SC Moms Blog on new and improved cloth diapers. Everyone was given a goody bag with information, an early literacy calendar, and a board book. Some were lucky enough to win diapers, books, infant clothing, and supplies.
The fair also featured:
- a flu clinic provided by Walgreens (insurance or fee required).
- free vision screenings provided by the Lion’s Club.
- spinal screenings provided by Palmetto Chiropractic Center.
- Affordable Care Act assistance provided by Cooperative Ministry.
- information on services available to children and adults with special health care needs provided by Family Connection.
- mental health information provided by NAMI.